Delivering Quality Healthcare
North Florida Regional Healthcare includes Gainesville’s community hospital, North Florida Regional Medical Center, as well as a number of other outstanding medical programs dedicated to quality healing. Those programs include the Heart & Vascular Center, Cancer Center, Women’s Center, Robotics Center, Invision Imaging, Center for Obesity Surgery & Treatment, Diabetes Center, Endoscopy Center, Sleep Disorders Center, Wound Care Center, Senior Healthcare Centers and Immediate Care Center. North Florida Regional Medical Center is a member of Hospital Corporation of America (HCA). Based in Nashville, Tennessee, HCA remains the nation’s leading provider of healthcare services, composed of locally managed facilities that include approximately 166 hospitals and 112 outpatient centers in 20 states and England.
MORE ABOUT QUALITY HEALTHCARE
The quality data listed below represents aggregate scores at North Florida Regional Medical Center in key areas of care called Core Measures. These measures record the process of care to see if hospitals are following recommended treatments. These process of care measures are important because they are linked to quality clinical outcomes for patients.
|QUALITY MEASURE||OUR SCORE||BENCHMARK|
|Acute Myocardial Infarction||100%||100%|
|Congestive Heart Failure||99.48%||99.29%|
|Surgical Care Improvement Project||99.08%||98.61%|
|Primary Coronary Intervention||66.09 Minutes||Under 90 Minutes|
To see more quality information, log on to the hospital compare website. Please note that, while the data shown on the website is limited to medicare patients only, the data displayed on this page represents care for all patients at NFRMC during the first quarter of 2011.
HERE’S WHAT OTHERS SAY ABOUT THE QUALITY WITHIN NORTH FLORIDA REGIONAL HEALTHCARE
- We demonstrate excellence with accreditation by The Joint Commission, American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer, American Society for Bariatric Surgery, American Academy of Sleep Medicine and American Diabetes Association
- North Florida Regional Medical Center exceeds benchmarks set by Department of Health and Human Services Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services for the treatment of heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia and surgical infection prevention. View our results at www.hospitalcompare.hhs.gov
- We are recognized by HealthGrades, the nation’s leading independent healthcare ratings company, for the highest rated care in general surgery and for maternity care. More on those ratings is available at www.healthgrades.com
- North Florida Regional Medical Center is recognized by the American Stroke Association’s Get with the Guidelines quality improvement program for consistently adhering to strict procedures for the treatment of stroke. We have reached the organization’s Gold Achievement Level recognition for our stroke program.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield has designated North Florida Regional Medical Center a Blue Distinction® Center for Spine Surgery, as well as Knee and Hip Replacement and Bariatric Surgery. These designations are based on rigorous, evidence-based selection criteria in collaboration with expert physicians and medical organizations and based on their recommendations.
- We participate in national databases of the Society of Thoracic Surgeons and the American College of Cardiology Foundation. By committing to collecting outcomes data for submission to these databases, surgeons are committing to improving the quality of care their patients receive.
- We have embraced an evidence-based teamwork system originally developed by the Department of Defense in collaboration with the Agency for Research and Quality. It is aimed at enhancing patient outcomes through enhanced communication and teamwork skills among all healthcare providers. Master trainers help implement this system at North Florida Regional Healthcare.
THE ROLE OF TECHNOLOGY IN DELIVERING QUALITY
There is little doubt that advances in technology play an important role in delivering quality healthcare. That is why North Florida Regional Healthcare is committed to investing in new technology. Here are a just a few examples:
- A partnership with Alachua County Fire & Rescue makes possible the real-time transmission of EKG tests from the field into the ER at North Florida Regional Medical Center to speed up the care for patients having the most dangerous kind of heart attacks. In nearby counties without the resources to pay for needed equipment, Hospital Corporation of America has committed to donate the technology. Emergency and Cardiology physicians and staff can be ready to treat patients as soon as they arrive, saving precious minutes
- Our acquisition of OB Airstrip technology makes it possible for physicians to monitor maternity test results in real-time on their smart phones. Because OB/GYN doctors cannot be at their patients’ sides through every moment of labor, this increases accuracy in interpreting test results when doctors can see them instantly and remotely on their smart phones.
- Operating room tracking screens at North Florida Regional Medical Center allow family and friends in the surgical waiting rooms to receive up-to-the-minute status updates on their loved ones. While the screens do not affect patient outcomes, they provide comfort and assurance to friends and family waiting for word about their loved ones. We believe that is also a part of quality patient care.
- An electronic medication administration barcode system is in place to ensure that North Florida Regional Healthcare patients receive the correct medication and dosage. Similarly, a barcode system enhances patient safety.
- We make possible access to 9-1-1, immediate medical treatment, physician locator, medical library and more through an iTriage application for iPhone and Android users. This brings highly relevant information to patients when they need it.
Quality healthcare is important to each and every patient. What does quality mean in healthcare? The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality is the lead federal agency dedicated to improving healthcare nationwide. It defines quality healthcare as “doing the right thing at the right time in the right way to achieve the best results possible.” At North Florida Regional Healthcare, our expert providers work together at North Florida Regional Medical Center and all the other facilities in our organization to deliver those results. In fact, we are recognized for our commitment to quality by some of the most respected organizations in healthcare.